By Dennis Goebel, Vice President, Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
Do you think you need flood insurance only if you live near water? Think again. Floods can be caused by heavy rainfall, melting snow, clogged drainage systems and broken levees. All it takes is a few inches of water to cause major damage to your home and possessions.
So don’t get caught off guard. If you think you’re at risk for flooding, consider protecting your home with a flood insurance policy. Although Liberty Mutual’s home and renters policies do not cover flood losses, you can purchase flood insurance through FEMA’s (Federal Emergency Management Agency) National Flood Insurance Program. To find out more information on coverage and premiums, visit http://www.fema.gov/national-flood-insurance-program or contact your Liberty Mutual sales representative for assistance.
In the meantime, take these steps to protect your home from flood damage:
- Safeguard your important documents in a waterproof container.
- Keep gutters clear of debris.
- Landscape with native plants and vegetation resistant to soil erosion.
- Leave the basement floor unfinished.
- Raise your washer, dryer, water heater, oil tank, furnace and electrical wiring at least a foot above your home’s projected flood elevation.
- Install and maintain a sump pump.
- Install backflow valves and standpipes to prevent backed-up sewers.
- Install flood shields for basement windows and doors.
- Plan and practice a flood evacuation route with your family.
Keep in mind that there’s a 30-day waiting period from date of purchase before a flood policy goes into effect. So don’t delay and buy flood insurance today!
For more on this topic from our partner, Liberty Mutual, click here.
As a member of the American Academy of Family Physicians, you are also eligible to receive exclusive group savings. For more information and to get a free, no-obligation quote, call 855-440-2153, click here or contact your local agent.
Discounts and savings available where state laws and regulations allow, and may vary by state. To the extent permitted by law, applicants are individually underwritten; not all applicants may qualify.
Coverage underwritten and provided by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates, 175 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116. ©2014 Liberty Mutual Group. All rights reserved.