From Dennis Goebel, Vice President, Liberty Mutual Insurance
It’s not always easy to keep your little ones safe around the house, but these seven baby-proofing tips can help. Better still, each one can be performed using everyday household items.
- Worried about slamming doors and pinched fingers? Pool noodles make great door stoppers. Cut a 6-inch section from a pool noodle, then slice it lengthwise on one side. Slip it over the upper edge of your door, and you have a quiet door stopper.
- Keep your child from exploring surge protectors. First, cut a hole in the side of a plastic bin with a lid. Then, place the surge protector in the box and thread the wires and cords through the hole. Now seal the box with the lid to keep the surge protector out of reach.
- Rubber bracelets or thick hairbands make great child-proof cabinet locks. Loop one over cabinet knobs to keep the contents out of your baby’s hands.
- Decals or stickers make glass doors more visible. Keep babies from crawling headfirst into a not-so-noticeable door by placing one (or more) decals onto the glass.
- Bathe your child in a laundry basket in the tub. This not only prevents toys from floating away, it also keeps your baby in the same spot in the tub, minimizing head bumps on the faucet.
- Cover the sharp edges of your hearths with foam pipe insulation. Keep it in place with duct tape to reduce injuries.
- Tennis balls can soften sharp table corners. Cut small slices in old tennis balls and wedge them onto table corners to prevent bumps and bruises.
As a member of the AAFP, you are also eligible to receive exclusive group savings. For more information and to get a free, no-obligation quote, call 855-440-2153, click here or contact your local agent.
Discounts and savings available where state laws and regulations allow, and may vary by state. To the extent permitted by law, applicants are individually underwritten; not all applicants may qualify.
Coverage underwritten and provided by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates, 175 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116. Reprinted with permission from Liberty Mutual. ©2014 Liberty Mutual Insurance