From Dennis Goebel, Vice President, Liberty Mutual Insurance
At the beginning of riding season, doing some routine motorcycle maintenance can help you ride happier, longer, and safer. Here are some tips to get your bike ready for the summer:
- Inspect the tires. Look for any punctures, flats, or other problems. Inflate tires to the proper PSI, as they may have lost air over the winter.
- Make sure your bike is charged. Batteries can often run out of power if they’re left unused during the cold season. If you need to replace the battery, check your owner’s manual to ensure you’ve selected the right type for your bike model.
- Fill up with fresh gas. Old gas can cause big problems. Stored gas can break down and corrode or clog systems, making it difficult (or impossible) to start your engine. Drain the tank or use fuel stabilizer over the winter, and, if you can’t start your bike in the spring, try adding some new gas.
- Check fluids. Check all of your bike’s fluids—not just the gas. Brake fluid is a priority because, again, long-term storage can affect fluid levels. Changing the engine oil and filter at the beginning of the season is also a good idea.
- Inspect your mirrors, lights, and windshield. Be sure to check all of the parts that help you see what’s around you when you’re driving. Inspect mirrors and windshield areas for cracks or other damage, and ensure your lights are in working condition.
These essential safety checks can protect you, and others, when you venture out to enjoy the new cycling season.
As a member of the AAFP, you are also eligible to receive exclusive group savings. For more information and to get a free, no-obligation quote, call 855-440-2153, click here or contact your local agent.
Discounts and savings available where state laws and regulations allow, and may vary by state. To the extent permitted by law, applicants are individually underwritten; not all applicants may qualify.
Coverage underwritten and provided by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates, 175 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116. Reprinted with permission from Liberty Mutual. ©2014 Liberty Mutual Insurance