Liberty Mutual is proud to partner with the AAFP Insurance Program to provide you with relevant auto and home safety tips for the way you live today.
Whether you hit the highways or cruise the water, the summer has a lot to offer in the way of carefree fun. But with any outdoor adventure comes a certain amount of risk. To ensure that you and your family stay safe on the water, follow these simple precautions:
- Learn safe boating techniques. According to the U.S. Coast Guard, about 70 percent of all boating accidents occur due to operator error. Reduce your risk with “Boat Smart” courses from the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.
- Get your vessel inspected. You can submit a request for a safety inspection at the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary’s Vessel Safety Check website.
- File a “float plan” before launching. This form can be found online and lists all the information the Coast Guard needs for emergency action. It’s not required, but it can be a lifesaver. Make sure you leave the plan with a friend or family member.
- Wear a life jacket. It may seem obvious, but the Centers for Disease Control notes that more than 90% of drowning fatality victims didn’t wear a life jacket.
And here are a few safety precautions for motorcyclists:
- Be visible. Oftentimes, drivers simply don’t see motorcycles. Put reflective decals on your clothing and bike, keep your headlights on day and night, and avoid riding in drivers’ blind spots.
- Warn vehicles of your presence. Use your horn to alert someone of your presence and flash your brake light when slowing down.
- Wear your helmet—always. All motorcycle helmets are required to meet federal Department of Transportation (DOT) standards and display a DOT sticker. If a helmet doesn’t have this sticker, it doesn’t provide adequate protection.
For more safety tips from our partner, Liberty Mutual, click here.
To learn more about Liberty Mutual Auto and Home Insurance or get a free, no-obligation quote, call 855-440-2153 or visit Liberty Mutual.
Coverage underwritten and provided by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates, 175 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116. ©2014 Liberty Mutual Insurance